Director of Music
Passionate and dynamic church musician sought:
The Cathedral of St Michael and St George, Grahamstown (Makhanda) is looking for a Director of Music from 1 January 2019. This is a part-time post, which might be combined e.g. with a post at Rhodes University, or teaching private music pupils. Remuneration is under review.
- directing the music and playing the organ for Cathedral worship;
- training and mentoring a group of young singers drawn from local government schools, who are members of the Makana Choir School as well as of the Cathedral choir.
Essential requirements are
- a passion for promoting Church music in a diversity of styles and languages, as an integral part of the worship of Almighty God;
- at least three recent verifiable references, including from previous employer(s).
Relevant qualifications could include
- appropriate music degree and/ or Fellowship (e.g. FRCO);
- experience in leading Anglican church music;
- experience in training school-going youngsters in singing and general musicianship;
- administrative competence.
Applications to The Churchwardens, Cathedral of St Michael & St George
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Hand delivery to the Cathedral Office 108 High Street Grahamstown (Makhanda).
Each application must include:
- The applicant’s current contact addresses (email and telephonic);
- An up to date CV with certified copies of degrees and certificates attached;
- The names and contact addresses/contact details of THREE referees.
Closing date: Monday, 3 December 2018
The Cathedral reserves the right not to make an appointment. If an applicant has not been contacted by us by 15th December 2018, their application has been unsuccessful.