Vacancy: Director of Music
Applications are invited for the post of Director of Music at the Cathedral of St Michael and St George, Grahamstown, with effect from 1 March 2017.
The Ideal Candidate
IDEALLY the candidate will possess:
- A degree in music, with either organ or choral conducting as a major and will be a competent organist
- At least five years’ leadership in Anglican church music-making
- Administrative experience
- At least THREE favourable and verifiable references from previous employers
The successful candidate for this post would need to demonstrate most of the following qualities:
- A strong commitment to equitable transformation in music, language and worship, while remaining deeply rooted within the broader Anglican tradition
- A devotion to Christian ideals and ethics through sound leadership
- Strengths in people skills, especially in dealing with teenagers and in fostering relationships between adults and children
- Experience in conducting choirs, developing choristers’ vocal techniques, fostering passion for group singing and advancing excellence in performance
- Experience in playing the organ at professional standards
- Experience in cantoring and developing congregational singing
- Excellent time management skills
- The ability to create solutions to challenging musical, social, language and liturgical problems, with a willingness to work alongside others from different traditions
- A commitment to building through music strong relationships with the wider Grahamstown and Diocesan communities.
The position of Cathedral Director of Music is a part-time post, and ideally needs to be twinned with another part-time job, either as a school teacher, lecturer or another profession with flexible hours. There is the possibility of a part-time post in the Department of Music at Rhodes University as the Chamber Choir conductor. The successful candidate could expect to devote between 12 and 14 hours per week to the Cathedral post.
Applications are to be addressed to the churchwardens of the Cathedral of St Michael and St George and to be delivered before noon on Wednesday 31 August 2016 by
Your application must include:
- Contact addresses (email and telephonic) for yourself
- Your up to date CV with certified copies of degrees and certificates attached
- The names and current addresses and contact details of THREE referees (preferably previous employers)
Please note this is a part-time position and the remuneration rate is currently under review. You may be required to take part in a recital as part of the interview process. The Cathedral of St Michael and St George reserves the right not to make an appointment. If you have not heard from us by 12 noon on 16 September 2016, then your application has been unsuccessful.